Mick Fanning wrapped up the win at the Rip Curl Pro Search in Portugal today, solidifying his lead in the ASP World Title race. Fanning, who won the inaugural Rip Curl Pro Search at Reunion Island in 2005, defeated Bede Durbidge in today’s Final to claim his third win of the ’09 Tour.
“The Search lived up to its name – we searched everywhere,” Fanning said. “We surfed four different waves for the event; even yesterday, I wanted to surf down at the wall, but we ran here and it ended up being one of the best days of the year. Congratulations to Rip Curl and all the staff who put in some really tough work all week with all the moves – it’s been a pretty amazing effort.”
Current ASP World No. 2 Joel Parkinson finished with an equal 3rd place; heading into this event, there were a total of ten contenders for the overall title, but the performances from Parkinson and Fanning have narrowed it down to two, with the title being decided at next month’s Pipeline Masters in Hawaii.
“That’s what you always dream of as a kid (competing for an ASP World Title at Pipeline),” Fanning said. “I’m super pumped. I’m going to go home and relax for a couple of weeks and get ready for Pipe. Hopefully we get some big barrels like we did here and we have a real showdown.”
CURRENT ASP WORLD TOUR TOP 10 (Following Rip Curl Pro Search):
1. Mick Fanning (AUS) 7140 points
2. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 6772 points
3. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 6148 points
4. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 6146 points
5. C.J. Hobgood (USA) 5748 points
6. Taj Burrow (AUS) 5524 points
7. Kelly Slater (USA) 5514 points
8. Bobby Martinez (USA) 5421 points
9. Damien Hobgood (USA) 5116 points
10. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 4828 points