Chase Field in Phoenix hosted round two of the 2011 AMA Supercross series, and Arizona’s motocross faithful came out in droves to watch James Stewart dominate in the main for the overall win.
After setting the fastest lap times during the day’s timed practice sessions, JS7 rolled into the night show on a mission to redeem himself from the crash one year ago in Phoenix that would eventually sideline him for the remainder of the series.
With speed and confidence on his side, Stewart led wire-to-wire in the Supercross main event to capture his first victory in over a year. Here’s how the racing unfolded…
SUPERCROSS QUALIFYING HEATS
- Andrew Short (pictured above) put in a solid ride aboard his Red Bull KTM to finish second in Supercross Heat #1.
- Stewart went down momentarily while leading Heat #2, but remounted quickly to finish strong in the second spot.
- Kyle Regal put together six solid laps aboard his Red Bull-backed San Manuel Yamaha to easily win the Supercross-class LCQ, earning himself a trip to the main event.
SUPERCROSS MAIN EVENT
- Stewart grabbed the holeshot to start the main, and despite some early pressure from last week’s winner, Ryan Villopoto, James rode 20 near-perfect laps to win in convincing fashion.
- The victory marks Stewart’s first since winning the opening round in Anaheim one year and one week ago.
- JS7 now sits just two points back as the series moves on to Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles next weekend.
- Short put in a solid effort to finish seventh.
- Regal battled to a tenth-place finish—the best Supercross-class result of his still young career.
1. James Stewart
2. Ryan Villopoto
3. Trey Canard
4. Chad Reed
5. Ryan Dungey
6. Justin Brayton
7. Andrew Short
8. Brett Metcalfe
9. Kyle Chisolm
10. Kyle Regal
SUPERCROSS LITES QUALIFYING HEATS
- Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen came up short on a triple during Lites Heat #1, forcing an early exit and a trip to the Last Chance Qualifier (LCQ).
- Red Bull-backed TLD/Honda’s Cole Seely qualified in the fourth spot out of Lites Heat #2, with teammate Christian Craig finishing fifth just a couple of seconds back.
- Despite a severely swollen heel, Roczen regrouped and came back strong, holeshotting and leading every lap of the Lites LCQ to qualify for the main.
SUPERCROSS LITES MAIN EVENT
- While pressuring for the third spot at the halfway point, Roczen went down hard in the track’s choppy, high-speed sand section and was forced to retire early.
- Seely (pictured below) didn’t get out of the gate like he’d hoped to kick off the main event, but steadily picked his way through the pack to finish strong in fourth-place.
- TLD/Honda/Red Bull’s Travis Baker finished just inside the top-ten in the eighth spot.
SUPERCROSS LITES RESULTS
1. Josh Hansen
2. Broc Tickle
3. Ryan Morais
4. Cole Seely
5. Eli Tomac
6. Tyla Rattray
7. Jimmy Decotis
8. Travis Baker
9. Martin Davalos
10. Kyle Cunningham
Follow @redbull on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news and information.