Lindsey Vonn, who was three points short of the overall in 2011, hoisted her fourth Audi FIS Alpine overall crystal globe in five seasons Sunday as the 2012 World Cup Finals came to a close.
Vonn also won the downhill, super G and combined titles for a historic 16 career globes and celebrated the all-time highest women’s point total with 1,980. Her American high 12 World Cup wins on the season pushed her career total to 53, putting her in the elite company with all-time record holder Annemarie Moser-Proell with 62 and Vreni Schneider’s 55.
"This year I have had a lot of fun. I have tried to enjoy every day that I am out on the hill and it's wonderful to have my family and friends around to share this. I have a big group here and they are all supporting me and it has definitely given me a lot of strength."
Lindsey Vonn Highlights
- Vonn has now won 53 World Cups, behind only the all-time marks of Annemarie Moser-Proell’s 62 and Vreni Schneider’s 55
- Vonn scored a women’s record 1,980 points and was close to eclipsing Hermann Maier’s all-time record of 2,000
- The season marked the second time she has won four titles, the first coming in 2010
- In her career, Vonn has amassed 305 World Cup starts, collecting 97 podiums and 53 wins
- She also finished second place in giant slalom, the best of her career, as German Viktoria Rebensburg won the race and the title
- Vonn clinches downhill and super combined titles
- Lindsey's 50th World Cup victory gallery
- Watch Lindsey ski at 1,000 frames per second