Starting in place of Juan Agudelo, Luke Rodgers scored twice on Saturday night as the Red Bulls trounced the San Jose Earthquakes, 3-0, at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ.
Thierry Henry, who played perhaps his best game since joining New York, capped off the win with his first goal of the season in the 87th minute.
The Earthquakes were thoroughly outplayed, as the Red Bulls outshot the visitors 16-7, including a 9-3 advantage in shots on goal.
New York’s domination started in the second minute when Rafa Márquez swung a corner kick from the left side to the far post, where Dane Richards was able to redirect it back into the center. Rodgers, generously listed at 5’7”, outjumped his marker to nod home his first MLS goal.
Thierry Henry - First Goal of 2011 MLS Season
NY Red Bulls vs San Jose Recap
- NY -- Luke Rodgers 1 (Dane Richards 1) 2
- NY -- Luke Rodgers 2 (Thierry Henry 1) 15
- NY -- Thierry Henry 1 (Luke Rodgers 1) 87
- NY -- Dwayne De Rosario (caution; Reckless Tackle) 32
- SJ -- Brandon McDonald (caution; Reckless Tackle) 55
- NY -- Luke Rodgers (caution; Reckless Foul) 55
Next up for NY Red Bulls: at D.C. United
Follow Red Bull on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news and updates.
- Red Bulls Defeat Sounders in Opener
- Short-handed Red Bulls earn draw in Columbus
- Henry and Rafa Meet Celtics Guard Rondo