A handball in the box called at the end of second-half stoppage time against Portland Timbers defender Rodney Wallace led to a penalty kick goal for New York and a 3-3 tie in a wild affair at JELD-Wen Field on Sunday night.
The penalty kick was converted by midfielder Dwayne De Rosario, capping a bizarre match that featured an own goal, the ejection of superstar Frenchman Thierry Henry and a flurry of yellow cards. New York are now undefeated in six straight, having drawn five of those.
The tie broke Portland’s two-game losing streak, during which the Timbers failed to score, but that will be little consolation as they squandered a 3-1 second-half lead.
New York Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers Highlights
Early in the match it seemed Portland would extend their losing streak, as New York took control with a goal in the fourth minute. It was Henry who provided the spark.
He started a series of perfect touch passes that left the Portland defense spinning, ending when De Rosario found Austin da Luz at the penalty spot for a tap-in.
For the remainder of the first half, it was tough going for Portland’s offense against the four-man Red Bulls back line. Meanwhile, New York continued to pressure Portland, with Timbers ‘keeper Troy Perkins coming quickly off his line to snuff out a Henry chance in the 22nd minute.
The Timbers ended up suffering through two-and-a-half games without a goal. Then they came in bunches.
Portland scored two goals in two minutes at the beginning of the second half, and then were handed another for good measure in the 68th minute on an own goal by former Timbers defender Stephen Keel.
- NY -- Austin Da Luz 1 (Dwayne De Rosario 4, Thierry Henry 4) 5
- POR -- Jack Jewsbury 4 (unassisted) 48
- POR -- Kevin Goldthwaite 1 (Eric Brunner 1, Jack Jewsbury 6) 49
- POR -- own goal (Stephen Keel) 68
- NY -- Thierry Henry 8 (Austin Da Luz 1) 73
- NY -- Dwayne De Rosario 2 (penalty kick) 95+
Source: New York Red Bulls
Follow the New York Red Bulls on Twitter for more.
- Red Bulls earn 1-1 draw in Vancouver
- Red Bulls vitalize youth soccer programs in NYC
- Get more at the New York Red Bulls official MLS site