Carissa Moore surfing at the US Open of Surfing Lallande

The US Open of Surfing represents the final stop of the 2012 ASP Women's World Championship Tour, which makes it one of the biggest, most prestigious events on the planet. But with parties, concerts and movie premieres every night and all the activity on the beach by day, it's not exactly the easiest place to focus if you're an athlete. We spent a day with Carissa Moore, the 2011 world champion, to figure out exactly how they do it. Here's her schedule:

5:15 a.m. The alarm goes off, daybreak comes early. Moore packs her bag for the day and gets her wetsuit on in the hotel room. "I always walk down to the beach with it fully zipped up and everything," she says.

5:30 a.m. On the beach, meeting coach Shane Beschen and her father. "I'll usually surf for about an hour or an hour and a half." She tries boards, gets used to the water and gets a better understanding of what the swell is doing for the day.

7:00 a.m. Breakfast back at the hotel. "I'll cruise and try to just stay mellow before my heat, relax, maybe take a nap. I'm a professional napper," she quips.

9:30 a.m. Head back down to the beach to assess the conditions and get ready for her heat. "Getting through the crowd on the beach to and from the hotel and contest site, that's the part that really trips me out. That's the only part of the US Open I don't like. I get claustrophobic."


9:45 a.m. "This is when I start to get really focused and think about the things that I'm going to need to do to make my heat."

10:15 a.m.Over to the beach marshal to pick up her jersey for her heat. She then sneaks down to the water's edge under the pier. There's a rip current that runs out from under the pier which, when paddling out, serves as a conveyer belt and helps conserve strength.

10:30 a.m. The heat is on. Moore has drawn France's Pauline Ado and Australia's Laura Enever. Putting her experience and overwhelming talent to good use, she wins handily, advancing directly into the quarterfinals.

11:15 a.m. The heat's over and she does the obligatory post-heat win interview for the webcast, showers off and returns the jersey to the beach marshal. Moore and her entourage gather her boards and gear and make their way back through the tent city on the beach to the hotel.

12:00 p.m. It's lunchtime now, usually something light and healthy, and then possibly another nap. "Remember, I am a professional napper." During this time she also fulfills other media obligations, doing interviews with various outlets from radio to TV to print. "Everybody's here and everybody's working, so that's part of it too."

"I'll cruise and try to just stay mellow before my heat, relax, maybe take a nap. I'm a professional napper."

3:00 p.m. Back down on the beach for a signing at the Nike tent. "I actually really like the signings because it's that opportunity to really interact with all of the people who come down and watch us surf. You meet new people, ask them how their day is, and it's nice. It's fun to leave them little inspirational messages and stuff. I really enjoy it."

4:30 p.m. The signing is over, the surfing is over and for all intents and purposes the day's over. It's now time to relax and hang out with her father and boyfriend. "I may still have little media obligations here and there, but I always have fun with them," she says. "I'm so proud to be an ambassador for Red Bull, Nike, Target and women's surfing." As becomes evident after a day spent with her, stress is not a big part of her day.

6:00 p.m. Dinner with friends, family, coaches, sponsors or whatever may be on the evening agenda.

9:00 p.m. Back in the hotel room, alarm clock gets set for 5:15 again, maybe a little TV and then lights out. Tomorrow brings a new day.

Follow Red Bull on Twitter for more news and updates.



    Add a comment

    * All fields required
    Only 2000 Characters are allowed to enter :
    Type the word at the left, then click "Post Comment":

    Article Details